Thread: Spinal Injury
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
mauirobin
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Spinal Injury

Took Button's to the vet yesterday. She started showing weakness in her back legs. I'm still not sure what could have caused this. Seems she might have a disk that's putting pressure on her spinal cord. The x-ray showed a possible place where the bones might be closer together than they should have been.

I have a new dog in the house that initially was aggressive to the other dogs, but they all are buds now. I don't know if she fell off the bed, & even if that could have caused it.

She was put on 3 week crate-rest, and is on prednisone & methocarbamol. She is eating well & loves her new wellness. I have been mixing a small bag of wellness with their Iam's, & the dogs go nuts for it.

It's killing me that I can't put her in bed with the rest of us at night. She doesn't like it much either, but I can't risk her jumping off when I am sleeping. I have tried the stairs, they hate em. They currently use a box that is tucked partially under the bed, that gives them a step up. I am thinking I might try to build my own, as I think the narrowness of the store-bought stairs turns them off.

I saw another member here uses laundry baskets on her furniture to deter jumping on furniture. I'm going to try that. She has already majorly improved since yesterday, as she is able to traverse the hard floors I have now. Pre-vet her hind legs would splay as they slid on the floor, only able to walk half-way normal in the grassy yard.

She is loving being carried everywhere & the extra attention she is getting. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how this might have happened in the first place. I would suspect that even if she jumped off some furniture wrong, that that would have been an injury to the front legs & not the rear? Also, hubby is working in Columbus now & took the couch, so there is only a desk chair, rocking chair (a wooden one the dogs don't care to sit in) & the recliner which isn't very high anyway. It had to be my bed or a scuffle with Jillian, who has only been here about 3 weeks. Jillian was 13 pounds when I brought her home, but that was when you could feel every bone in her body, lol. She has gained weight since she has been here. Buttons though only weighed out at 6 lbs at the vet yesterday.

I'm at a loss....but am open to any other suggestions that might help her recovery.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!