View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Welcome! Glad you are enjoying this site.

As to your question..... I believe the right answer is to NOT buy the puppy no matter how cute. It is not a rescue because once you put money in the hands of a greeder, you become part of the problem. They just continue to abuse the poor sire and dam, who has probably never set foot outside her cage unless it was to show customers when she had puppies still nursing. Giving any money to these people just contributes to the problem and ensures the cycle of abuse will continue. If we really want to do our part to discourage BYB and mills, we have to stand strong and at least NOT participate in their disgusting business. I know it is hard to leave a little one you love at first sight at a place you feel is inadequate but there are thousands of puppies around the country that are in horrid conditions. We can't buy them all and it really is better to make sure none of your money is funneled to these people. That is our best weapon against them outside of the legal system. Definately report all unsafe and unsanitary conditions both to the kennel club they are using to register their litters and the local animal protective services. If there is direct abuse going on, you can call the police as well.

This is why it is SO important to thoroughly research the breeder before ever looking at the pups. I found that was the only way I could consistently resist. First time out the door, I too bought a pup that was not really what I wanted. But she was so CUTE! The lady was actually selling her due to medical problems so was not the original breeder. (I later wondered if she was really selling the pup because she could see that she wqas not going to be in standard.) I did find out the original breeder was somewhere between a BYB and puppymill. She had a cement building out behind her house full of cages * did not care much about the breed standard. I still loved the pup the rest of her life but I made sure next time I really knew as much as I could about the breeder before I went to look at puppies. All puppies are adorable, lovable and just begging for attention! You just have to ask yourself if you are willing to be a partner in crime with a BYB or mill owner or if you are going to maintain higher standards and find a GOOD breeder.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!