View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schanls View Post
I need some help. I have 5 yorkie pups that were born 19 days ago. No, they were not planned - when I got the mom 6 weeks ago she was pregnant. This is my very first experience with puppies and so far so good. But...from birth they have been in a whelping box, today the puppies are climbing/falling out and walking(scooting) around. I pulled the box out and they are now in an enclosed pen/yard in the house with space to sleep, do their business, play and eat (for mom). My problem is the mom will not feed them unless I put the whelping box back in and put all of them in the box every time they are hungry...is this normal and do I need to just keep doing this??
To young to take them out of the whelping box and too early to begin the weaning process. Remember they should be kept off the floor and away from drafts, still a bit young.....

And yes, you need to keep doing this. I hope you are giving mom as many meals as she wants and at least one scrambled egg a day with a calcium supplement? Three weeks of age but, up to 6 weeks after whelp a female can experience eclampsia.

Also, remember mom is very protective of her pups and wants privacy when she nurses....
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!