View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
roseylovestosho
Donating YT 500 Club Member

As if she's ever been in a library long enough to register cell phone usage based on race. Secondly, given that she stated that the library is mostly full of Asians, it would make sense that "Asians" will be caught on the phone in the library with higher probability than anyone else. The University that I attend is mostly white, and guess what...every time I catch someone talking on their phone in the library...is white! Shocker!

Although I understand that she's entitled to "free speech" it's this type of mental heuristic that breeds discrimination. Just like when people look at statistics regarding prison populations and observe that most inmates are minorities they conclude that most if not all minorities are criminals. When in fact, it is an artifact of poverty. I'm not saying that everyone who is poor commits a crime (I grew up extremely poor), but it's just that on average those that are poor are more likely to commit a crime than those that are wealthier (and it just so happens that a greater percentage of minorities are poorer/earn less). And THAT might not even be true either since those that are wealthier can afford a lawyer that can keep them out of jail. So either way sorry for rambling I just feel really strongly about this.

Join today and remove this ad!