View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
Islandcanine
Senior Yorkie Talker

Omg Transition onto New Food

Laura don't fret too badly. We all have to start somewhere and it is an ongoing learning process, learning how to properly feed our fur babies.

Kibbles and bits are more of a "junk Food' Than Caesars.
Have you read and researched the ingredients in the list on the bag (and can)?

Finicky eaters are not born they are made.
Start by cutting out all treats.
Do your dogs a favor for longevity and switch them onto a higher quality premium kibble.
Even Royal Canin is better than Caesars and Kibbles and Bits.

Make the switch a gradual one using the chart below:
New Food Transition (Based on Two Feedings Per Day)
DAY ONE
1st 1/4 New 3/4 Old
2nd 1/3 New 2/3 Old
DAY TWO
1st 1/2 New 1/2 Old
2nd 2/3 New 1/3 Old
DAY THREE
All New

A dog will eat if it is hungry.
Your dogs are not eating because you are feeding them junk food so their bellies are not hungry.
Cut out all junk, gradually introduce a higher quality kibble.
Depending on the weight of the dog(s), determine how much you will feed per day and break up the portions to two or three times a day.
On the back of the bag of dog food will say how much is recommended to feed per weight of dog.
An adult dog typically eats about 2-3% it's body weight.

My dog is 6.5 pounds. She eats Go Naturals, Salmon and Oatmeal Formula. I also cook for my dog and am in the process of switching to 100% home cooked and no more kibble. Right now she is getting 6 tablespoons of food per day. Three meals a day, last one just before bed time.

Try other methods of bonding than feeding, treats or otherwise.
Walks are great, a short game of tug, play fetch, go for a jog/walk/jog. Grooming is a great way to bond as well. Even just the belly rubs that they love so much.

Exercise then feed. Never feed without having the dogs out for a mingle in the yard at least but a good walk is best. This gives them time to burn calories, go potty and build an appetite.
Teach discipline before feeding and use the feeding as a reward.
When you get the dogs back home. Have them sit in the area of food prep and hold. This is teaching them some discipline. Don't let them wander about doing whatever they want while preparing their food before setting it down.
Always prepare to feed in that order. Exercise, discipline and reward.

Lastly, you could try free feeding, with a kibble only. Use the wet food as an enticer once in a while if you find that the dogs are not eating. I have read that some recommend a wet food for our toy dogs over a kibble but I am reluctant. I prefer to feed a wet High quality food, such as Blue Buffalo once in a while. The kibble is good to help keep the teeth clean too as well as exercises the jaws.

I would get a high quality kibble and start transitioning to the new food (use chart above). I would try just free feeding and let the dog decide when it wants to eat but do not give treats. Just let them have the one option and they will eat.
Don't fuss over them too much when it comes to feeding time.
If you find that they are not showing interest, mix in some wet food perhaps or moisten their kibble to switch it up a bit.

If you want to feed your dogs human food, Do Your Research First. Can't stress that enough. IE: Know your ratios and understand the relation between phosphorus and calcium, most important. Know that too many vegetables in ratio to animal protein can cause mineral deficiencies.

A Good site to read from to start what is a major learning curve would be Best Dog Food | Dry Dogfood | Cash Advance | Debt Consolidation | Insurance at Thedogfoodproject.com
I would suggest to start your reading from under Commercial Dry Foods Title on the left hand side. Learn about commercial food and reading the ingredients list.
Meanwhile, there is a wealth of information to be had, especially on the internet, making some information conflicting, some just down right bad info.
What I do is research and study, daily, weeks on end. I read, read and read and talk to as many people as I can. Holistic vets who specialize in nutrition, other pet owners and home cookers. I take what I learn, think about it for a day or so and make my own decisions. I do not make a move without thinking long and hard, checking and double checking everything. I am a bit of a fanatic but I only want the best of the best for my dog. No chemicals first and foremost. No fillers no junk. Only whole food and if I have to, a high quality premium kibble (which is hard to find a good one that suits my dog but I have)

Another good webiste for dog food related information (who do upsell their products but past that most information is superior) is
www. b-naturals.com
See Spot Live Longer - Great Nutrition Can Give Your Dog a Longer Life
as well as
Pet Nutrition and Animal Wellness on Mercola Healthy Pets
Suggested Reading is all of Dr. Becker's articles.
DogAware.com: Commercial Dog Foods
but anything under the diet tab would prove helpful for you!
BREED SPECIFIC DIETS vs ALL-BREED DOG FOOD
My Favorite website as this man talks straight. Pretty much everything he says is on track. (scroll down for his articles!)

This is only a short list but are a few that I frequent which I have found very helpful.

Lastly, find at least two or more of a good high quality premium commercial food should you want to stick with commercial food for your dogs. The reason you want to find several brands that works for your dogs is Rotation. Do not feed a bit from this brand and a bit from that brand, No!
Feed one entire bag then next bag of food, open another brand. Feed that until it is done and move to the next brand or back to the other brand (if you choose to stick with two). The reason is to give a variety of nutrients available in each bag because not all kibbles are created equal plus you will be eliminating the possibility of creating food allergies by feeding the same food over and over.
Food Rotation is of utmost importance, especially the animal proteins.
You will understand what I mean once you learn more as time goes by.

Congrats to you for stepping up and asking out for the health of your pets!
Islandcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!