View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
Islandcanine
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Encourage Drinking

Could try increasing exercise by way of play and/or walks.

I used to take my dog, when she was a pup, outside, with treats (kibble), her toy for fetch and being sure to have a dish of fresh water near by.
We'd get geared up playing and then I'd say "Ok, let's go for drinks" and we'd go to her water dish, left up a small set of stairs near the front door. She would drink and then we'd play fetch for three or four more throws and then back to "drink" again. This not only got her drinking but also taught her the word "drink".

Additionally, since your dog is a puppy, I assume that she eats three or four times a day. Try moistening her kibble for one or two meal times. This will help hydrate her.

OR
do as one has already suggested and syringe water into the side of her mouth, slowly and not a lot at a time.

Lastly, you could have a dish of fresh filtered water. have your puppy come and sit with you and dip your finger into water dish and to her mouth for her to lick off. Try to encourage her to just take a drink from her water.
Change dishes and see what happens but also the placement of the dish.
I know my dog was very finicky as to where her dishes were placed before she would comfortably eat or drink.

If you haven't already, start introducing a toothbrush. I take my dogs tooth brush and rinse it before we begin. I have a bowl of fresh filtered water. Before we brush, I dip it in the water and let her lick the water drops off. She seems to always want to do this before she has her teeth brushed, daily.

Oh and also my dog loves the centers from romaine lettuce. You could try to see if your dog will eat them, say as treats. Give a command first so she 'works' for it. High in water content. Be sure not to feed too much vegetables in ratio to her kibble though.

Hope this helps.
Islandcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!