View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
mauirobin
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Hard to say. Your Macaw isn't sexually mature yet, so there will be a major change in his behavior in about 3-4 more years. But I have had Macaw's, cats & dogs all at the same time, with no issues. I have just never had a Macaw and a yorkie at the same time.

Usually one bite on the nose will stop cats & dogs from intruding in his territory...(his cage) But most of my Macaw's were from homes that couldn't tolerate the bonding/sexual aggression that they show after they mature, so a hand-raised Macaw like it sounds like you have, and a young pup might develop a nice relationship.

My birds called the dogs...threw treats at them, mimicked their barks & growls, would get on the floor & steal their toys, heck they would get on the floor & steal my kids' happy meals too if they weren't paying attention. Many times one of my kids engrossed in a video game would reach for their burger to find it gone...lol.

Just be aware that after sexual maturity, your macaw will pick one of you to be his "mate" It will usually be the one they prefer anyways up to that point. You will know for sure who it is when he tries to regurgitate his food for you. In the spring when hormones run high, ie your macaw chose you & your hubby sits on the couch beside you, you will probably be the one to sustain the first bite, as he/she is trying to get you to flee, so he can take on the intruder.

They become very protective of their "mates" at these times & can be dangerous to everyone involved.

On a good note, they have developed hormone shots (or I should say hormone-taming shots) that helps curb this behavior, & you might want to speak to your vet about it.

The mating/high hormone period is only once a year, & they can revert to their lovable selves the rest of the time. I just wouldn't leave them unsupervised for both their safety any time of the year.

I have been out of the bird-breeding hobby for almost 10 years, so there may be a lot of new meds I might not even be aware of these days. But watching your bird trick your dog into coming is hilarious, and almost all of mine called the dogs, or "here kitty, kitty.

It's hard to say how they will get along. You will have to watch & observe. I can predict though that eventually your bird will find your dog highly entertaining & will try to interact with him. Your yorkie however might not think it's so funny, but a pup that is socialized early will be the key.

Keep us posted. Hope this helps.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!