View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 09:53 AM   #15
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

Hi,

Some folks swear that Brewer's Yeast, Garlic, or Vitamin B does the trick for their pups flea regimen, however, there is little scientific evidence to support such remedies. I did find this on the internet so I thought I would post it for you.

Garlic Flea Remedy Dangerous For Dog
09/19/2005
Q. I heard that garlic could keep fleas from biting, so I put some in my dog's food for about a week. He became lethargic and couldn't even climb the lowest stairs. I thought this might be a reaction to the antibiotics I had him on to heal sores from the original flea bites.
I took him in again to check for infection, but there wasn't any. I casually mentioned the garlic, and the vet said that garlic is toxic to dogs. It causes something called Heinz body anemia. Please warn other readers.
A. Both garlic and onions can cause anemia in dogs. Cats are even more susceptible.
People often assume that they can give their pets the same things they take themselves, but that's not necessarily a good idea. Always check with the vet before giving your pet any medicine or extra treats like chocolate or raisins, which are also toxic to dogs.
If it's a no-no to give onions to cats and dogs, how can garlic be okay to give for flea prevention? Aren't they in the same family?

Since becoming the pet columnist, I've made it my mission to find the best veterinary experts to address various pet topics. For this column, Rebecca Remillard, DVM, PhD, Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Nutrition, MSPCA Angell Memorial Animal Hospital, Boston, offers her expertise.

Although some people feed onion or garlic to pets, I do not recommend it, and I don't serve either to my pets. Onions and garlic do come from the same family. Both contain a compound that is toxic to red blood cell membranes in dogs and cats. This toxic effect, particularly in onions, stays no matter if the onion is raw, cooked, dehydrated, or in powder form.

As for garlic, there are plenty of reports of pets who are regularly fed garlic and garlic extract to ward off fleas, then develop skin problems and asthmatic attacks. Some can also develop a certain anemia, but it is hard to predict which animal may have such a reaction. Read food labels carefully before serving your pet any commercial foods with garlic or onions, and avoid serving him homemade foods with these ingredients.

Bottom line: Why risk your pet's health?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!