View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnainohio63 View Post
Took Sadie to the vet this morning because she started throwing up again today. Vet did and x-ray, did not like the way it looked so she did an ultrasound and Sadie has three puppies with very strong heartbeats. Vet also gave me a can of bland dog food to try seeing how she is still refusing to eat, I gave her a little when we got home and she ate it and now she is sleeping.
Vet says she is in the very first stage of labor and this could take up to a week. The vet also says everything looks real good for a great delivery but that if there is any complications to bring Sadie to her right away.
I feel a little at ease now and maybe I can get some sleep tonight.
I hate to hear that Sadie's still having problems. How's she eating and what's she eating? Didn't you just post the other day that she wasn't eating but then she started eating chicken breast? How about the beef liver...is she not eating that now? I want to say that's she's just having a rough go of it...some do. I would be *concerned*, though, since she's been been picky for so long and is throwing up.

Sadie is now 50/51 days along, going by your posts. I'm at a loss why your vet said she is in the first stage of labor. Not sure what he calls labor but I've never seen where it could last that long. First stage labor usually lasts up to 24 hours. I've never seen it said anywhere that it can last a week. She shouldn't be showing any labor-like symptoms yet, and if so, you'd have to question whether or not it's a symptom of some other problem.

I know you said earlier that you are comfortable with this vet, but he's done some questionable things IMO. First, he does an x-ray way too early (the one about 2 weeks ago) to tell anything. He also recommended calcium supplements...something universally not recommended during pregnancy. Now he says she's in labor at 51 days?

Frankly, I would be more worried for her getting enough nutrition and possibly becoming anemic, hypoglycemic or pre-eclampsic. Did he do any blood work on her? Being picky is one thing but at a certain point you have to concerned for her health (and that of her pups) if she's not getting enough nutrients. Did he suggest giving her some Nutri-Cal?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!