View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
Lizzie07
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwardsrain View Post
Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I plan to get my next puppy in a year or two, so I'm starting the research now. One more question, how far ahead of time should I contact the breeder? I know some of the best ones have waiting lists. Is contacting a year ahead of when I plan to get a puppy too long?

One thing you could do is watch for shows in your area. Go to www.akc.org and look under events. Also, if you do find a breeder you're interested in and make contact with, you can also ask if they will be at a particular show, that you are going to attend, and that you would love to meet him/her. It's a good way to start meeting breeders in your area and to see some of their dogs first hand and at their best. Also, a very good way to meet breeders closer to you.

This is also one of the easiest ways to keep a great relationship with your breeder. A way to stay in touch and see their current dogs or their up and coming dogs.

I have met so many breeders I like and have obtained more great information about breeders of IGs, my other breed, by going to dog shows. Many of the shows are shows that are concurrent with agility trials, but you can just as easily go to conformation only shows. It really is a great way to meet a breeder. Just don't be too pushy at a show and its best to wait to approach them after they have shown, usually.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!