View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
danna
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Seperation Anxiety - HELP

Okay Everyone,

Need a little help.
I have a 4 year old Yorkie - Ivie.
Background: Shown briefly by a breeder - has been with three different breeders. Had two litters. (I will be spaying her in January.)
Needed to be homed as her puppies seem to be too large and does not need to be bred anymore.
She became a permanent part of our family effective a week ago.
She is adjusting well to this new life with my big dogs and going to work with me everyday. I have also managed to potty train her - YEAH!!!!
However, when I have to go somewhere without her I put her in a Dane puppy crate. She freaks out if she can't be right with me. She will bark the whole time I am gone (have tested this) and runs around the crate until she is exhausted. She is hoarse and tired by the time I return (usually only a couple of hours).
I started the crate training by staying in the room with her and only keeping her in their short periods. But even now she will pace and whine and bark when in the crate and not able to be right with me.
At work if I leave the room for a minute she will run around until I come back.
I'm afraid that this is turning into severe seperation anxiety. This will not work for her role in my life. I have to figure out how to combat this.
Ivie is to be my "Dog Partners In Therapy" dog. She has the absolute perfect personality outside of this. I really do love how attached she is to me, but I need her to be okay without me for short periods.
I love this little girl - PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Info: Sleeps with us, Goes to work with me everyday, Stays in a small crate when in the car, Dane puppy crate when left at home, have tried covering the crate, have tried discouraging behaviour with claps and "NO", Have tried staying in the room with her for short periods, have tried ignoring, am feeding her in crate.
If I think of anything else I've tried I'll post another note.
danna is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!