View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Sara1130
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
If mom is still nursing them 3 times a day is fine. I usually put mom in after they've finished to let her finish up what they've left and to clean them up.....

As mom's milk begins to disapate and change texture, usually about 5 weeks of age, I would add more a couple of more meals.....You'll find her reluctant to nurse when their milk teeth come in....so, that is when they'll begin eat more. I usually don't add ground kibble until their puppy teeth begin to come in.
Mom has been nursing less over the last week which is why I started them with a little ceral and then yesterday added in the canned food. They are doing really well with it. I just didn't know if that was what I was supposed to do or not. They do try to suck on my finger and so far have not felt any teeth yet. Mom will watch them eat and will clean up what they don't eat but will not get in there with them unless she smells that they need to be pottied. I get that look from her several times a day when they are crying and it looks like she is saying "your turn" and then she goes and lays down. So that is when I take over and feed them. I always try to feel if she is full or not and usually she is not so I think her milk has slowed way down now. She has done good getting them this far. I just didn't know if the canned puppy food was too rich for them but so far I am not seeing any signs of discomfort in them. They are going to sleep afterwards and will usually wait close to 4 hours before they start stiring for food. Mom will get in there then and will feed them and will do that for several feedings before I get that look from her again.
Sara1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!