View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
AllDogBoots
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Great post Karen. Good reminders for everyone.

For training, start alternating between treats and praise. Try using kibble taken from meal allotments for rewards and save the high-value treats for training new tricks or behaviors, maybe once a week. I often joke that Teddy doesn't work for free, but he has learned to do things for praise alone. That is part of the training, learning to do things for praise alone.
I will definitely try kibble. I always figured he wouldn't accept kibble as a reward and he never did, probably because he was expecting a treat. Heck, Max would take a rock as a reward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetts_mama View Post
What about making the transition to clicker training? The click let's them know a treat is coming, but helps delay/reduce the number you actually give them.
Yes we are doing clicker + treats. And I have slowed down the treats during the walks especially because they understand the click means they are doing something good. I just think that all the past overfeeding may have finally caught up with Cooper. Once Cooper is regulated I will not be giving him any treats at all (until i can find out what doesn't agree with his tummy) and I'll try kibble as a reward. He's also ball obsessed but I haven't quite figured out how to use that as a reward. He sees the ball and then won't do anything.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!