View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Sara1130
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Breeders....Questions about Newborn Puppy Care.

Breeders, I have some questions about what comes next with the care of our new puppies.

Some may have followed our threads and know that the "Miracle Babies" are now 4 weeks old. Mom did start nursing at day 7 if memory serves me correctly and has been nursing since then however, I still had to do 2 bottle feedings a day and a few supplements since they were still crying. I am now up to 3 full bottle feedings and some supplements. I started them on a little rice cereal with their formula and let them take that from the plate. I did that for 3 days at 3 feedings a day and all seem to have done well with it. No diarrhea or upset tummies. Today I did add a spoon full of Wellness Puppy food from the can and they devoured it. 2 can eat from the plate without any problems and 2 still need a little guidance. Our 2nd feeding I did add a little more dog food to it and not so much cereal. Again, all did good but still had to guide 2 to the plate.

Now for the questions about feeding....

1) Is this the correct method for getting them to eat???
2) Should I continue with this path till they are all on puppy food only or do we try to cut out the cereal all together and just use puppy food?
3) Should I be offering them water too? I do offer them a bottle afterward if momma won't nurse them to see if they are still hungry or need a drink and occasionally I will get a taker.
4) Since doing the food, they are going about 4 hours or so without even looking for food. Is that normal??
5) When do I use the puppy kibble?? I can't see them even trying to eat that right yet even if it is soaked and mushed. Is the can alright or should I try using the kibble??

So that is the feeding questions that I have. Now on to the next area. What should I be doing or not doing to help these pups when they go to their homes? I do not know when or if I start crate training them, do not know if I try to separate them so they get used to not having each other, do not know when I start trying to potty train them, and do not know when I start letting them meet other pets even if it is from a distance.

As you can see this is all new to me. If you can point me to areas that I can read I have no problem doing that. Any guidance that you can give would be appreciated.

Lastly, I need to find contracts for the new owners. I will insist upon spay or neuter and I need that in there. Any suggestions where I can find contracts or do I need to have an Attorney draw one up.

The reason I am coming to you is I value your opinions and your expertise. You all helped me save this momma and her puppies and I don't mind being told if I am doing something wrong. Just want what is best for them.

Hugs,
Sara
Sara1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!