View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomima View Post
No 7 Removing your dog from the car. Again first is situational awareness. If you are a city dweller, the preference would be to remove your dog onto the sidewalk and not onto the street side. Don't remove your dog, when walkers are passing by, or other dogs are around. You can wait a moment or two. Now you have a choice here. Your dog needs to be trained that they don't move out of the car until that leash is on, and you give the go ahead. How you train your dog to this is up to you. I usually in the early days, find a quiet park, deserted, and with treats, get the dog to sit stay, until I put the leash on. With my Yorkie he is trained to jump up in my arms (he gets a treat), and I quickly put on the lead. My body is oriented in towards the car until I'm sure that leash is on, and I have control of him.

Another suggestion is to attach the leash before you detach from the car harness/booster.
Excellent! I always do this. I take my time and focus, especially when I have both Max and Teddy with me because they are runners.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!