View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

My Tibbe used to "tell" me he needed to go out when he really didn't while he was in potty training but that lasted only about 3 - 4 months(did I just say "ONLY"!) and then as I little by little turned him down for all except the most believable "tell", he pretty much stopped doing it. I always wondered some about the bell notification if a dog wouldn't become a little obsessed or something with that noise repitition since some dogs seem obsessed with creating sounds in things over and over like repeatedly making a squeaky toy squeal ALL day. While I have no experience with the bell, I am sure others will. From my experience, they all fib a bit just to go out more on some days but it usually eases up alot once they get a bit older and it is not all so novel. Can you remove the bell for a while and just watch for him to "tell" you he needs to go out and then try phasing the bell back in? Tibbe "tells" me he has to go out like this: He usually gets right in the middle of the floor, stares me down for a bit and then begins to go round and round in circles. If I suspect he is not really needing to potty but has just heard the Yorkie across the alley barking or the garbage truck coming, I will sometimes tell him "not right now" but if he really really needs to go, he barks earnestly with big round eyes and comes and bounces off the couch with his paws until mommie gets right up! If he doesn't really need to go and I tell him "not right now", he goes on about his business, so I am lucky in that I have a demonstrative dog who hates to "go" in the house and will raise a ruckus to keep from it. I hope you can find a good solution as this is probably driving you nuts but at least your little guy has got the idea of going outside down pat! That's a good start. Tucker sounds like a smartie who learns quickly and I agree that Yorkies are so intelligent. Mine LOVES to learn new things ALL the time. I'm teaching him now to seek out and find the satellite remote which usually somehow STAYS lost and he's taking that up with relish. They are just so cute and love to "work". Hope you get a quick answer and some help.
yorkietalkjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!