View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
babbsiam44
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
Oh my gosh, I'm so worried.

After a lot of research, I settled on giving him 1/5 - 1/4 of a cup a day to start. I also read that to take it away once he stops eating so I figure that he wouldn't over eat and self-regulate.

I looked at the scoop today and what I looked like the 1/8th mark was actually the 1/2 mark. I can't believe I was so dumb. I don't cook or measure anything by cups (in the science field, everything is in mL, no clue what a cup was).

So basically, he's been getting a bit less than a cup a day for the past 3 days. Due to me assuming he would stop when he was done, I didn't worry so much. He did stop multiple times when he finished his new food and left his old food so there was no day that he actually ate a whole cup.

He's been looking a bit bloated, so I did some more research and found a measuring cup and realized that I have been feeding him way too much. I proportioned his food for the next few days. He's skipping dinner tonight and will be eating slightly less than 1/5th of a cup tomorrow and going back to regular schedule on Monday. Everything is divided into ziplock bags for 3 meals a day.

Is there anything else I should do? Do we need a trip to the vet? I can't make it until Monday, but there are some places open tomorrow morning a bit further away.

Any advice? He's fine otherwise. Playful as always.
Welcome to YT.

I am not sure about how much to feed because I free feed my girls. They are in no way shape or form overweight. You did state that he did stop eating a few times so I do not see a problem with what you were doing. I am not sure how old he is but do not skip meals to get him on a schedule. If he is a puppy he needs his food.

You say he looks a little bloated. Has he pooped? Has he been dewormed? If not then yes a vet visit is indeed necessary.

Keep us posted.
babbsiam44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!