View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

The reason I train Tibbe in the front yard off leash is a preventative but it is risky so if you do decide to try to train your dog to not dash out of the front yard, do it only if you have taught your dog some basic obedience and it is used to obeying commands. Start out in the front incrementally with the dog leashed, starting with just letting them come out on the porch, then the sidewalk, etc., and be very watchful of your surroundings while he is out there. A squirrel/cat/ dog, a car coming down the street or people can totally distract them - as those kids did Tibbe. I was distracted by getting the mail when those kids appeared and boom, there I was with Tibbe in a possibly dangerous situation. Tibbe was a "dasher" when I got him and I was/am always scared he would some day some how scoot out the front door as I was distracted with some delivery situation at the door. This time the training worked but it will always be a work in progress. And I continue to work on his "Come" command when his ardor to come running begins to wane a bit.
yorkietalkjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!