Thread: Help!
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
babbsiam44
YT 1000 Club Member

Don't cry. It's going to be OK. Look what I found for you:

No matter how carefully you remove a tick it may be possible to leave part of all of the head behind- especially when removing it from a squirming dog!

You can take the dog immediately to a veterinarian to have the tick head removed-- which is what some money-minded veterinarians might recommend-- but letting time take its course may be the more prudent option for a healthy dog.

If you haven’t already, you should clean the skin around the bite with rubbing alcohol to reduce the risk of infection and continue to keep it clean. As it heals your dog’s body should form a hard layer of skin around the bite. The hard lump is the body's way of quarantining the foreign object (the tick's head). As layers of skin die and regenerate, the lump will eventually just fall off. This will occur after several weeks or months. If you want to speed the healing process you can apply a bit of Vitamin E to the site once a day.
If at any time the bite become inflamed or appears to be infected you should consult your vet immediately.

I hope you feel better. I come from a place where we deal with this all the time. Yep, my little momma has had a couple on her from the time I got her...she is still here. Get some flea and tick meds that are going to work for your area. Treat you lawn, if you can, then you can possibly reduce the meds you have to put on your little one. It's going to be alright!!!
babbsiam44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!