View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #14
concretegurl
Between♥Suspensions
Donating Member

My volunteer service at the pound mainly consisted of handing out free spay neuter vouchers...rescues here do it as well...low and no cost.
I completely agree with your points about euthanasia...all rescues, pounds etc here spay neuter at low or no cost and obviously all their dogs they adopt out too.

Apparently after talking to ppl on here about our "pounds" services we do as basic here, go way above and beyond in medical care than their animal controls do...I just can't fathom other pounds not being the same-I drove just over 200 miles to another pound to get my Scoobers, they run an even better program, they work in direct conjunction with their county rescue because they are just outside the city and specifically get so many pup mill dumpees like my Scoobers...they are a small animal control in a smaller city with limited resources and receive about 6x their compacity in animals at any given time-they found ways to get national organizations involved instead of facing euthanasia just due to overcrowding...that's how it should be. S a County Animal Wellness Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzieg View Post
Our pounds accept surrenders, and the biggest issue that I saw was the amount of litters they received from owners that didn't spay or neuter their animals. I also had a lot of dogs that were diabetics, had hurt limbs, etc., but with proper care, they had a chance to thrive. I'm sure that there are public services around that offers spay/neutering services at a pro-rated price, but people don't prioritize it. I'm really sensitive when it comes to killing anything living, unless the animal is at the point of living in misery with pain or bad health conditions. In GA, the pounds worked closely with better funded organizations that could rehabilitate behavioral issues in dogs, and that made a huge difference too.
concretegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!