View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #12
concretegurl
Between♥Suspensions
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzieg View Post
I agree, nothing wrong with taking her to a pound or even better, to a vet's office. Here in the southeast, a good bit of our pounds are kill shelters. That bothers me. The county next to ours had a 30% kill rate, so two summers ago, I fostered 22 dogs of all sorts, found them good families, and kept them from getting killed. It was a ton of work, but was worth it when they got to good families. I've gotten a lot of great pictures and reports from the families that adopted.
I hear these horror stories about pounds and wonder if people are less than honest, exaggerating, or if outside of my area there is such a dramatic difference

My local animal control and the vast majority surrounding are also kill shelters technically, they put down dogs that do not pass behavioral testing, or have severe medical reasoning. Same as the SPCA is around the country...worldwide...it's a last resort.

When I volunteered at rescue, the pound constantly called when they were full asking who could foster this one or that one, or can this or that rescue take this breed etc...they don't just put dogs down over overcrowding...but they also didn't take owner surrenders...they advised a list of rescues...they take strays to reunite with owners, and otherwise abandoned dogs...I think people complain so much...perhaps they should volunteer, get involved and be the change they want to see...in rescue we also had to put down some dogs because of severe behavioral issues and severe illness...it was a last resort effort as it should always be...Humboldt County Animal Shelter, Sequoia Humane Society, I volunteered there years ago...I guess I assume it is the same everywhere, perhaps not though...they should all be "so bad" as ours here though.

Last edited by concretegurl; 03-01-2011 at 05:43 AM.
concretegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!