View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
boopster
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Tallulah has colitis - suggestions?

Tallulah has been having problems with diarrhea intermittently the past couple of months. The first time we went to her vet and there were critters in her stool. Dr. Diagnosed colitis. Treated it with antibiotic and probiotics, and we did the rice with chicken diet, transitioning to dog food very slowly. She responded to the bland diet and medicine immediately, but started with the diarrhea again last week.

T's doctor is in the hospital so I took her to the vet our friends at Yorkie Camp use. His diagnosis was pretty much identical as was the recommended dietary plan.

Another fecal exam came back negative, so she has been on rice cooked in a little plain chicken broth and cottage cheese for five days. Plus Immodium AD twice daily as long as her stools were runny. Yesterday I was supposed to start slowly transitioning back to dog food if her stool was back to normal but it's not. She isn't going at all during the day but she is getting up every hour or two at night and the stool is very runny.

In every other way she seems perfectly normal. Her appetite is good, in fact she eats the frequent tiny meals the dr recommended and wants more ( which she doesn't get). Her energy level hasn't flagged - she's still the tiny tornado. And she has gained weight as expected even with the problem. Dr. Wondered if she was eating something she shouldn't but there has been no opportunity for her to have anything I didn't give her.

I'm waiting to hear back from her doctor now. Wondering if anyone has suggestions about dealing with colitis.
boopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!