View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will check into the belly bands and we are comparing prices for getting him neutered.

As for the crate/pen issue that is now being discussed:

Our vet specifically told us NOT to use potty pads, as that gets dogs confused. Example--We are teaching him that its NOT okay to go in the house, and then confusing him by teaching him to GO in the house. Make sense? This came directly from a couple of different vets and is the reason we have avoided purchasing potty pads.

Opinions?
Thanks again!
If your goal is to have a strictly outdoor pottier, then I would not use pads at this point. However, thinking long term about your schedule, how long during the day does your pup have to wait to potty? 6-8 hours is a very long time for a little dog with a little bladder. It isn't healthy for humans or dogs to hold it that long on a regular basis. Also, is he without water that whole time? I'm not judging, just thinking of health issues (bladder and kidney) in the long term. This is why I use both pads and outdoors for my boys. I have found that many vets oppose piddle pads period, but they also haven't had much personal experience raising little dogs.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!