View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Janisowl
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Intro and runt concerns

Hello All,
What a blessing to have found a community this evening! Hopefully, someone is still awake and can calm my nerves. My precious 3 year old Yorkie gave birth to a litter of SEVEN puppies Friday evening. We truly were only expecting four or five and were blown away when 5, 6 and 7 made their debut. Her delivery went without incident and she is a phenomenal mom. She is attentive to everyone and welcomes my intervention. My worry is that I have a little male runt. He is at least a 1/3 smaller than the rest of the brood. They are all very small (I suppose due to the large litter number). He seems energetic and does find the nipple to nurse. His little belly just doesn't seem to be as full as his littermates. He is just so terribly small and fragile looking compared to the others. I have removed several of the more vigorous eaters to allow him less competition but I am still concerned. They all see the vet in the morning but I just can't leave him without checking hourly that he is eating and content. Any other advice or experiences with runts would be so helpful and reassuring.

Thank You
Janisowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!