View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

if your looking to get the whal stainless steel combs you can buy them all in a set so you can try the largest and go smaller if you want it shorter. Since yorkies have a drop coat the hair will be left longer then say a poodle coat when using the same comb just because the hair lays flat to the body.

I use Andis clippers as well. Have the Andis ultra edge and the excel 5 speed. I also prefer the whal stainless steel combs. For yorkies you can use the 10 blade under the comb but i typically use a 30 blade underneath for most coat types.

Most of my yorkie clients are cut shorter so i usually use a comb or blade going against the direction of the coat growth. This makes for a smoother overall finish.

If you get the full whal set start with the E comb and use it with the lay of the coat. if that's too long, then go to the C, etc etc etc. Or you can take the E and go in reverse and see how short that takes it. Its all about trial and error in the beginning until you find something you like. A good pair of shears will also be needed to finish the legs because you will not be able to get a good finish with the combs on a tiny yorkie chicken bone leg. LOL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!