View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
dinkyweil
YT Addict

Default Terrified Traveler

So we drove with Dinky from Michigan to North Carolina, stayed for a week and drove back. He had his crate, favorite cuddling blankets, lots of attention and potty breaks, but he was a mess. \\It is a very long drive-over 10 hours with stops and starts. the way there he did not sleep for more than a couple of minutes at a time. He just can not seem to sleep when the car is moving. He got used to the cabin in about 2 days. Then on the way home, he not only not sleep, I could barely get him to drink water and eat. Again, when the car was stopped, he ate a little bit and nodded off. He doesn't whimper or whine, he just looks miserable and refuses to sleep. I tried leaving him in his crate to eventually crash, but he just stood there looking sad for over an hour! No amount of cuddling will convince him to sleep. My idea is that he thinks he is lost, even though we are there. He just stares out the window. He is definitely not happy. He's just over a year old now. Any hope he will begin to like travelling in the car?
So... the next time we make this trip, would you give your dog anything so that he could sleep? DH is horrified by the idea.
dinkyweil is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!