View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 07:28 AM   #6
sylvan
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFan121s
First off, let me say, that I think they are GORGEOUS. Prior to joining YT, I'd heard only a very limited amount about them. Out of curiosity, how does one go about getting a parti-colored Yorkie?--As far as breeding, not owning one. I am just curious as to if they come from 'standard' colored Yorkies, or if a standard and Breiwer (sp?) are bred? Can they be registered? It's not something I am trying to pursue or anything like that--I think I have all I can handle for now-- I am a little unsure of the difference/similarities between the Yorkies and the Breiwers? Just trying to further educate myself as it is kind of foreign to me.
To try to simply answer your questions...
1. Parti colored yorkies come from breeding standard yorkies that carry recessive genetic traits for the piebald colors. OR from breeding parti to standard and crossing the recessive parti back to parti OR parti to parti.
I won't go into the genetics, it's complex. Whenever the piebald genetics are apparent in markings, you have parti-colored. Parti yorkies bred from AKC parents CAN be registered AKC with the parti-color noted.
2. Biewers are a parti (actually tri-colored) yorkie originated from a piebald cross that was done by Mr. & Mrs. Biewer in Germany and now given the distinction of a separate breed classification in Germany with their own registry. They ARE yorkies, just with evident piebald/tri-colored markings (specifically placed) and of German heritage.
3. Anything (standard, parti, whatever) bred to a Biewer cannot have pups registered AKC, since the AKC does not recognize the Germany registry of the Biewer parent. Biewers bred to Biewers can be registered with the german registry.

clear as Mud???
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!