View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
BlondeLocks
Senior Yorkie Talker

I got my Kody young and had begun the pads but once I took him to the vet and asked about outside training, I was told it was okay to do so - actually better because then he wouldn't get confused when I tried to switch him. Everyone will tell you something different to do, but you'll have to do what works best for you, your family and your schedule. All the advice given is good and I sometimes refer back to it as well.

That being said, Kody did fine with pee/poop outside. Since he was young when I got him, that required me to adjust my schedule to his. It was necessary to take him out often because of his small bladder and him not giving me a signal as of yet of when he had to got Potty. The magic word being use POTTY.

I crate trained him from the beginning. What I learned since he was so small, even though the crate was small, it was way too much room in there for him. So what I had to end up doing was to stuff a sheet in there to alleviate some of the extra space and it worked like a charm. Before then, the first night he had pooped in there. Since putting the sheet in there and only leaving enough space for him to turn and lay he felt more secure. I never had a problem since then. Also I put the crate beside my bed so he could see, hear and smell me. Since this time, he has grown in weight and length and I was able to remove the sheet from the crate allowing him to now stretch out. Still no problem with pee/poop in the crate. He did whine for the first week or so, but he eventually grew out of it and now, goes to bed when everyone else does with no problem. The key like everyone else said is consistentcy.

I take him out to pee prior to bed time and then again between 11pm and 12am. We rise and shine at 5a.m. (he's our alarm clock) and he goes out to Potty - pee/poop at this time. I knew I would never have him sleeping with me, so I didn't want to start that process.

Kody is now 12 weeks and we still have accidents in the house - which is normal and to be expected. But for the most part - he does his duty outside when we go. He still hasn't learned to give me a signal of when he needs to go out. I know to take him out after meals, sleep and playtime. Other than that, the in between times, I just judge for myself and take him out about every hour.

I invested in the training bells to see if they will work with him telling me when he has to potty. I've only had them for a couple of days - so no significant progress as of yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I wish you luck. It's definitely just like have a newborn baby. My first couple of weeks, I didn't get any sleep. Now we are on a schedule and I've adapted to him and he to me.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!