View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
cinechic
Yorkie Yakker

Exclamation I just can't do it...crate training.

I just got a 7-week old, and I knew that I was getting her too young and that I was going to be in for a rough ride...but I haven't slept well once in the three days that I've had her.

We had a travel kennel when we bought her and it was fine the first night - I held her until she was asleep then put her in. She woke up twice to potty and went right back in. Second night she fussed a bit at first - took her out and held her until she fell asleep, then it was the same as the first night.

But the third night, oh my God. She would instantly wake up every time I tried to put her in the kennel. Ended up crashing on the couch with her on my chest after 4 hours of trying to get her in the kennel. At 6am I put her in, I was so exhausted I didn't care. She cried...then silence. She pooped all over. Tried re-crating her at 7, stayed in for 40 minutes screaming the entire time before I took her out. Fell asleep until 9:30 on my chest, was able to crate her at 11:30 for about half an hour - after falling asleep in my arms first.

Tonight it's been even worse...she wasn't eating well, so I took her to the vet. On the way home she cried the whole time before peeing in the travel bag about 5 minutes into the drive home. We introduced her to the wire crate the boyfriend bought and she seemed to love it. Played in it, chewed toys in it. Tried to put her in for the night at 8, she woke up at 9, chewed for a bit then went back to sleep. Woke up at 10:30 to pee. We put her back in and she went nuts. Cried for an hour before pooping in the crate at 11:15-ish. Thinking that she just needed to be worn out, I played with her a bit and she finally went down around 1:30. Woke up at 2:30, I took her to pee which she did. Put her back in to discover she had pooped in there yet again. Don't know if it was before or after she peed. Held her for about 45 minutes, but every time I tried to put her in she cried. Put her in (crying) and left the room at 3:30, not 2 minutes later I come back in and find she has YET AGAIN pooped all over. That's 2 sets of sheets, a pillowcase, 2 blankets, and a towel all pooped on in less that 24 hours.

Now I'm in bed and she's asleep on my chest. I don't know what to do, I haven't stopped crying. Is she too young to crate train? Should I keep her in bed with me until she's a little older? How can I tell if she's just whining in the crate or if she has to go? How long is too long to leave her in her crate shrieking?

I can't take it, I knew I wasn't going to get a lot of sleep but I thought I'd be averaging better than an hour a night. How can I get it back to the first two nights? Am I screwing her up completely?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!