View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
anapier88
Yorkie Yakker

Question Potential new Yorkie magazine

Hey everyone! This is my first post here, even though I joined about a week ago when I got my baby Charlie as a Valentine's Day present from my sweet boyfriend.

Currently, I'm a college senior and I've been working part time at a publishing company that publishes trade magazines focused on the timber/forestry industry. Not really my area of interest, but working for a magazine in general has been pretty interesting! Which leads me to the point of this post... Today I had to write an article for the March company newsletter, basically giving an update about what I plan to do after graduation in May. At the end of my article, I jokingly said that if all my half-formed plans fall through, I could always use my experience gained working there to start my own magazine for Yorkie enthusiasts, featuring interviews with happy Yorkie owners, promotion of small-breed dog products, reader submitted photos of their pets, veterinary advice, etc. I was really only kidding, kind of using the same design we use for one of our magazines about power equipment.

However, when I emailed the article to my boss, she emailed me back saying it sounded like a good idea, since we hade several animal lovers (including another Yorkie owner) on our small staff, and there is definitely a Yorkie enthusiast market out there. What she was most interested in was what the existing competition would be.

I googled, and I seemed to find only two magazines based in the U.S., one for $45 for a one year subscription and mainly focused on the showing/breeding aspect (at least from what I could tell from the website) and an E-mag, which doesn't have a physical mail-out distribution. The magazines my company current publishes are trade magazines, meaning they are financially supported by advertisers and thus are free to qualified subscribers (in this potential case, Yorkie owners).

Anyway, to conclude this rather long post, I basically just wanted to gauge the interest here on this forum: would any of you be interested in receiving a free monthly subscription to a new magazine that was targeted at what I like to think of as the "everyday" Yorkie owner? Certainly there would be some coverage of AKC events and show dog owners, but mostly it would be geared more toward people who enjoy their Yorkies as regular ol' companion dogs. Please let me know your thoughts!
anapier88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!