View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Buster Brown
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I have to agree that I hope the breeder can let the puppy stay longer in order to learn important socialization lessons. One example is the not biting hard lesson is usually taught in play with brother & sister pups. Nine hours is a long time! Buster is trained to use a piddle pad inside and to pee outside as I can have really long work hours too. I waited until my roommate and I had staggered hours in the beginning because I did not want to leave him that long. If you think about it 9 hours + 8 hours for sleep is 17 hours which only leaves you 7 hours for play, walks and training. Not to mention the usual life stuff. That is a lot of lonely time for a new puppy. I feel they need a lot of attention when they are puppies to help them be happy and confident adults. I know I was a bit overwhelmed with how much work Buster was as a puppy especially potty training. I do not mean to be negative but many people will get a dog and then get so busy that the dog is ignored. When it cries because it is lonely and craves attention or acts out because it is bored then the owner gets frustrated with the dog. It is not the dogs fault but the owners. They are companion dogs and really need the company of their owners. Perhaps an older dog who is more settled and not a new and needy puppy might be the answer. During the summer when your children are home will you have more time at home for a puppy then? Kelly is right the little Yorkies have issues with hypoglycemia so they need more feedings as well in the beginning.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!