Thread: Curious..
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Teresamag
YT Addict

Not only do the momma's teach the puppies proper "doggie behavior" (ever seen a dog try to play with other dogs when they weren't ever around any - they don't know dog body language or when to back down). and bite inhibition but they also teach them how to get along with each other and momma's give the puppies more "confidence" when dealing with the unknown. Puppies who are older when they go to their new homes just do better - eating, less illness, more confidence etc.

I used to let my Yorkie puppies go at 8 weeks old (I had large dogs before Yorkies who were weaned at 4-5 weeks and ready at 6-8 weeks) but all of us stressed --- The moms who had to wean the puppies before they were ready paced and whined, the puppies who were pulled from their moms before they were eating well on their own were unsure and didn't eat well, and me who had to watch them like a hawk to make sure they were eating well and didn't get hypoglycemia. It was too stressful. As I learned better I changed things for the betterment of my dogs. I now just let momma wean when she is ready. It's usually around 9-10 weeks and puppies are eating well usually by 10 weeks. We still provide canned/dry food mixed several times a day even until 12 weeks old just to make sure they are eating well but I don't have to stress about the puppies (as much - I'm a worry-wort). Puppies learn every day from each other, from momma. and from other gentle females when they are 10-12 weeks old. I feel like they are more mature and physically & mentally ready for their new homes at 12 weeks old plus the new home doesn't have to worry as much about making sure they eat.

Teresa
Teresamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!