View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

My Tibbe has some fear issues from apparently living most of his first 9 months OUTSIDE in a crate and I work with him facing them directly whenever they crop up. Tibbe hates many loud or new sounds. In Tia's case, do not get emotionally involved with her or act concerned when she shows fear. Just matter-of-factly breathe deeply, become just a dog trainer, guide her to the object using positive reinforcement but little or no talking and wait beside the fearful thing with her a while - just very briefly at first. Then, back her off and let her retreat from her new fear. The key here it to keep returning her unemotionally with positive reinforcement to the area of fear, waiting there with her and letting her back away. Repeated exposure with little talking from you while she is fearful will soon show that bright little brain that that big Boogy isn't so bad and if your positive reinforcement is something like peanut butter - well, hey, Boogy brings peanut butter will soon be her association. You will be her key here. Showing you control the moment, control her and control the Boogy and that you don't condemn her for her reaction and keeping your tension down(ha! Not so easy-you LOVE her and care) will show her that you are the leader and she will begin to trust your ability to keep her safe as she confronts her fears and laps some peanut butter. After a bit, begin to leave off the food treat and just guide your baby matter-of-factly to Boogy, wait a bit longer and retreat. Or if you prefer not to treat, use a squeaky toy or chewie or any other positive reinforcement as you guide her to the Boogy area. Some Yorkies are fearful by nature, some because of early trauma, some learned from the home environment etc., but are super smart and love to learn to best their Boogy. I'm somewhat disabled and I think Tibbe picks up on my pain/disability and that makes him more fearful as he senses my discomfort and stresses. But working with him as he comes across any new Boogy has taught him that Mom may be hurting and stressed but she is in control so he doesn't need to fear. Most of the time Tibbe is a full-time consumer of all things Life, is extremely self-confident, brave, super energetic, feisty, somewhat aggressive and the biggest ham in the world. He is the merriest little creature alive and "smiles" most of the time. He LOVES life and living and makes you happy just thinking of him. But like most Yorkies, he's sensitive to his Mom and with his bad, bad start in life, he's got some issues which we work through together as they show up. Yorkies are a work in progress, as are we all. Tibbe has been the best thing that happened to me in the last 2 1/4 years since I got him. Life is WAY better with a Yorkie.
yorkietalkjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!