Thread: Curious..
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
Dzbabykel
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farleys View Post
I know everyone says you should not take a Yorkie away from its mother till 12 or more weeks. But why? Maybe if they are too small? Or unhealthy? I work at a veterinary clinic and we have quite a few Yorkie breeders in our area and lots and lots of yorkie puppies coming thru for everything from tail docking to first dewormings and first shots, and all of them give away their puppies around 8-9 weeks. And we have NEVER seen a problem in the last 13 years that i have been there. UNLESS, it has a heart or liver defect, which has only happened once and it was from a pet store hours away. Anyway, as long as a puppy is healthy there is no reason it shouldnt be able to leave at 8 -9 weeks. I was just curious why everyone on here says that. Thanks
They shouldn't be taken away from their mom and litter mates until around 12 weeks because there are a lot of behavioral issues they learn from them. Bite inhibition is one of them and I was not knowledgable on this issue when I first brought home Oliver (I brought him home at 10 weeks) and it was such a hassle teaching him not to bite. I know there are many other reasons but this is one important one I dealt with personally.
Dzbabykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!