Thread: Puppy hair!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

Thanks for your replies.

I do understand (and have gotten a lot of information from all of you) about coats changing colors. Nevertheless, it is still confusing as far as what they will eventually end up being. I have no doubt, he will be a lighter Yorkie, and that's fine. And, I rather enjoy watching his coat change colors almost daily.....

I meant this post to be more about the texture of his coat. It does make sense to me that there might be a puppy coat and then another coat that comes on later. My pup is about 15 weeks old.

I have done my share of dematting - I had a PooPom and now have a Bichon who both require a great deal of care. I just can't see taking on the mattes in this little guy's hair at his young age. It is much easier at this point to keep him short and not put him through daily torture. Combing and brushing seem to hurt him a lot (he is the biggest boob!!!!). And, he is getting a weekly bath and a lot of other grooming - nails, haircutting, ears trimmed, etc. - that he is very "reasonably" good about.

Also - I think trying to dematte him with what appears to be terrible baby hair may make him hate being groomed the rest of his life. I do think the new hair coming in will be easier to manage ---and better for both of us.

We are in no hurry to grow long hair - he is only a little puppy. Never say never --but I plan to always keep in a puppy cut or at least a modified puppy cut.

Thanks for your replies so far.

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!