View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Wabbit
Love my little flowers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenPatrice View Post
Hi and congrats!! Blood sugar can be a problem. You should keep nutrical(get this at petsmart or petco) or karo syrup to rub on the pups gums if you see signs of hypoglycemia. A puppy sleeps a LOT but as long as she is eating normally throughout the day I wouldn't worry. It's when they don't eat that you should worry. Congrats again

An article I found to be helpful when my girls were little...
Signs of Hypoglycemia in Yorkies

Drowsiness or Collapse

Step 1:
If your Yorkie is seems to pass out or stumble around as if it's drunk, the problem may be drowsiness from hypoglycemia. Most Yorkies are able to maintain their blood sugar by the time they're three months of age. Before that time, they're very susceptible to hypoglycemia. If your dog is older, hypoglycemia may be a sign of a pancreatic tumor.

Shivering

Step 1:
When a small dog's blood sugar wavers, its body has trouble maintaining a constant temperature. A hypoglycemic Yorkie may shiver, which can be a warning sign that something is awry. Provide a protein-rich food and make sure the dog has a warm bed to snuggle in after after eating. It may take a little while for the nutrients to hit its bloodstream, but the dog should stop shivering within 30 minutes or so.

Listlessness or Depression

Step 1:
A Yorkie that isn't interested in its favorite toys, stares off into space, avoids eye contact or generally seems "down in the dumps" may be suffering from hypoglycemia. Like humans, dogs have specific nutritional requirements, and if they aren't being met, the results can get ugly. Bring food to the dog and offer small bites until it has the energy to feed itself. Usually, after a few bites, the dog will perk up and finish the meal.

Muscle Weakness

Step 1:
A Yorkie with weak muscles will sit or lay down more often and will not jump around or climb stairs. For Yorkie owners who are used to seeing their little dog's fly around the house, muscle weakness can be perceived as a personality change. If you suspect that your Yorkie is suffering from weak muscles, offer high protein foods more often and mention it to your veterinarian, so that a lab test for hypoglycemia can be administered.

Seizures or Tremors

Step 1:
With careful monitoring of a Yorkie's blood sugar, seizures and tremors are unlikely. However, tremors or even full blown seizures can happen if other symptoms are overlooked. If this happens, get your dog to a veterinarian immediately.

WELCOME TO YORKIE TALK! The best place to be if you have a yorkie in your life!
RIP Honey Rose & Jasmine
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!