Thread: Teacup Yorkies
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
kjcmsw
YT 500 Club Member

I got a call from someone a couple days ago asking me if I had a teacup Yorkie for sale. I said, well I have a small one, the runt (though not for sale). She asked what's the difference? I felt at a loss as it made me realize a small Yorkie and a teacup Yorkie to the public's way of viewing is the same. So I said nothing, it's semantics just some people don't like the term 'teacup'.
Her response was, "well, that's silly, what difference does it make, I just wanted a smaller Yorkie" I felt she was right...calling it a teacup was her way of describing the type of dog she was looking for. Which is certainly her prerogative as a buyer. Yes, I did take the time to explain how often times the extra small ones can have problems, etc...even explained the differences/delicateness between my 'runt' and her full sized brothers.

I don't want to start an argument and get bashed...just stating I really don't see the big deal if someone uses the term 'teacup' to describe a small Yorkie (or any other breed) --- yes, I agree wholeheartedly, that people should not breed specifically to make them smaller due to all the health issues, etc, however, the term teacup (to me) just seems like another descriptive term to indicate 'small' and I don't think people should make it out to be some horrible term.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!