View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatcher View Post
Bitsy turned 4 months old on 2/17, she will be getting her first rabies shot tomorrow, state law says they have to have it by 4 months of age. I am freaking out a bit because she is small, I'd say she weighs about 2.5-3 lbs. I'm just wondering how she will react afterwards, she also will be getting a booster shot, and after her booster shot she usually does not feel well and does a lot of sleeping. I'd appreciate any input.
All of mine had rabies at this age and our state law requires it by 16 weeks also.... Teddy was 17.5 weeks old because I staggered the shots. I just checked Teddy's record and he was 4.5 lbs when he had his rabies shot. He did fine. I would definitely hang around for a while at your vet's -- we sat around for about 30-40 minutes when Teddy had his shots in case of a reaction.

I personally would not do the booster shot for DHPP and the rabies together and I would not give my consent for the vet to do it. I'd make that very clear from the minute I walked in "I'm only doing the booster today, I'll be back in 2 weeks for rabies." The vet should understand your concern in a toy breed and if he/she does not, then drop the vet. Just my opinion.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!