View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Icon2 Oreo's Law to be Re-introduced

Some of you may remember Oreo's Law, named after the dog that was rescued then killed by the ASPCA. Efforts to pass the bill failed last year but it is being re-introduced this year. Here's the link to the thread about Oreo's Law from last year. http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/ani...-new-york.html

The new wrinkle is that, along with the ASPCA, Best Friends opposes this law. It seems unfathomable that this group would align itself against this bill in light of the work they do, but it is apparently so. It is the subject of some discussion with the No-Kill Advocacy Center. What's really odd is that Best Friends and the No-Kill Advocacy center have been working together in the past but that seems to be over now.

For a couple of pieces about this, here's some links.

Best Friends and Oreo’s Law Redux YesBiscuit!

With “Best Friends” Like These… : Nathan J Winograd

Guilty, Until Proven Innocent : Nathan J Winograd

Best Friends Tells Rescuers to Shut Up : Nathan J Winograd

Here's Best Friends' statement. It's from last year and my understanding is that their concerns were addressed in the new bill, yet they still oppose it...thus the fighting among groups. BFAS Statement On Oreo's Law | Facebook

It looks like a permanent rift is coming between some of these groups, and it seems centered around money and political clout. This is very distressing to me as I have always admired Best Friends. I will say that my eyebrow got raised recently when I read they took in $43 million in one year. I wondered then if their mission was big enough to properly use all that money. I will definitely be taking a longer look at this group.

Back to the point of this thread....Oreo's Law is being re-introduced and needs the support of everyone to help it pass. Here's a link with the new text of the bill and (at the bottom) a couple of web addresses of Congressmen to contact. Save Lives - Pass Oreo's Law: Feb 11, 2010

Here's a more readable copy of the text. Bills

Please take a few minutes to let your support for Oreo's Law be heard!!

Thank you for reading.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!