Thread: Teacup Yorkies
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Teresamag
YT Addict

Alot of people have heard the "Teacup Yorkie" term used over and over so they really honestly do think it's a breed. Or, you have people using the term to act like their Yorkie is better or more special than another Yorkie. I've discussed this with people for years - I tell them it's my soapbox when they ask for a "teacup". Yorkies are Yorkies are Yorkies. There is no "Teacup Yorkie", bad breeders have over used this term, the problem is that because there is no defination of "teacup" an unethical breeder could say his teacups are 5-7 lbs, another may say 2-3 lbs, or another even under 10 lbs. See what I mean? By the AKC breed standard for Yorkies the breed is supposed to be under 7 lbs although some come a little larger. Occasionally there are small Yorkies born in normal litters (or even oversized puppies from normal parents), I've had puppies who have only turned out to be 3 or 4 lbs with normal sized parents. These puppies are just smaller than normal (like I'm only 5'2" - shorter than normal - with a brother who is 6'1"). Sometimes the smaller Yorkies can be a little more fragile, it seems that they tend to have more luxating patellas but very often they are very healthy and can be good pets in the right homes. It's not right to breed female Yorkies who are under 5 lbs because of the risks associated with breeding tiny girls and that's the problem with people purposely breeding for the "teacup yorkie", they are using unethical means to breed tiny puppies. If you want a smaller Yorkie contact ethical breeders who would never use the "teacup" term and wait until they have a small puppy from normal sized parents.

Teresa
Teresamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!