View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
concretegurl
Between♥Suspensions
Donating Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineNoelle View Post
DH and I went to petco to pick the girls up a few things this afternoon. While shopping for them each a new dress I noticed one of their trainers "PULLING" around a very tiny maltese with a leash and a COLLAR. The poor baby was sitting on the floor as she was being pulled around by this trainer, while she explained to the pups owner why you had to pull the dog around like this, until they understand how to walk on a leash. I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I asked the trainer why she had a collar on that poor puppy while she had her on a leash and why she was pulling her around like that. She instantly became huffy and told me this is how you train a dog to walk on a leash, blah, blah, blah..... I told her, NO, that is the way to give the pup a collapsed trachea and that she should use a harness. She did not agree with me, but I didn't expect that she would, but at least I was able to give the owner something to think about. The little puppy was probably about 8 weeks old. Sorry this is long, but this really irritated me. Poor little puppy.
No offense to you but what did you expect you were shopping at Petco...did you think big box retailers spend money hiring qualified "trainers" or staff familiar with animal needs etc or high school students and those wanting entry level employment...no offense to those who work there and care and are knowledgeable but let's be real...who are the majority of the people there? Going to management hmm yes but I'm skeptical it would be effectual in the long run...

I couldn't take going in and seeing dead and sick animals in the cages all the time...find a local pet or farm store that has been owned by someone for a couple years I'll bet serious money they know a lot more as their business survival depends on personal service, awareness and customer satisfaction...

one of the best advisers I've ever ran to in times of need is a local pet store owner (she also owns a pet boutique and is part owner in a dog day care grooming service parlor now) she has no formal training but after 30 years in the business I'd test her knowledge against any vet, trainer, behaviorist, groomer, etc. and she's free her business depends on her ability to keep up with the best and educate.

I'd remember this and not spend my hard earned dollar supporting a company who employs people like this...regularly, everywhere...

Last edited by concretegurl; 02-19-2011 at 07:50 PM.
concretegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!