Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowie View Post
I never said I used a "prong collar" . This is the kind I used
http://www.siberian-husky-dog-breed-...ger-collar.jpg
That's actually worse than a prong collar. At least a prong collar does not choke them. It just gives a pinch.

Some people just need to be educated... it doesn't necessarily mean they are stupid (though I completely disagree with the use of these collars) but you've gotta remember, choke collars were just a normal thing to buy for a dog at one point in time. I remember when my parents got new puppies and to get all the pup necessities, a choke collar was always included. It was all anyone had ever heard of and they didn't even know they were doing damage. Some people just haven't learned otherwise.

I dogsit a Lab and she has never owned a dog before him. Well, he's a TERRIBLE walker and she bought a prong collar for him, but I suggested the Easy Walk harness so she went out and bought it, never heard of anything like it before. I also introduced her to clicker training. The Lab has got amazing focus with food and he learns super fast and didn't need those shock collars or prong collars she had.

When I first got Jackson, I had never heard of putting a dog in a harness. I mean, I guess I had heard of it, but I always pictured running Huskies in them, etc. I just always saw house pets with a regular dog collar on. It wasn't until I joined YT that I knew a harness was a necessity. And I like it so much better!

I'm so happy I've discovered positive reinforcement and clicker training. It makes for such a great relationship with your dog but I realize not everyone has the knowledge or the tools, so I always try to educate when I can.

Last edited by Britster; 02-19-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!