View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Her Name Is Rio
Donating YT Addict

I did some googling about potatoes in dog food. Here's one bit from one of the sites I found:

Answer from PamPerdue 5 of 5 people found this helpful -
Sort of
If a potato gets green patches on it, that contains solanine, which is very bad for both humans and dogs, though dogs seem to have a particularly bad reaction to it. Potato sprouts also have a good deal of solanine in it. You wouldn't eat them because they taste extremely foul, though dogs can be dumb that way. Solanine isn't cooked away; it's stable at the temperatures we cook potatoes at.

You'll want to cut away green patches on potatoes before you cook them just because it doesn't taste good, but there's not enough in there to do you any real harm, either, at least not in a single potato. You should certainly cut away any sprouts, too, for the same reason.

So... if your dog gets into a bunch of sprouted potatoes, and is dumb enough to eat them, things may not turn out well. And one baked potato isn't going to kill your dog; there's just not that much solanine in it. And since the solanine is only on the skin, a dog can safely eat peeled potatoes until it hurls.

In fact, many dog food manufacturers put potatoes in their dog foods as an inexpensive and tasty filler. Such things are perfectly safe because they start with peeled potatoes.
Sources: Commercial Organic Analysis: Part I ... - Google Books
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!