Thread: lyme question
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretegurl View Post
1.Ticks not being around in winter is a myth..you are only less likely to get one in winter but they still get around and still get off an animal onto your animal...or you.

2. Get a lyme test done at the vet! Do you use a flea or tick control agent? I use frontline plus but ticks will still bite so I use apple cider vinegar as a "rub" before we go to "ticky areas"

3.Lyme takes awhile to show symptoms so in 2-5 months you will see the result of this bite thus many people don't see the correlation in behavior change based on the tick they found months earlier...Dogs do NOT develop the typical rash or the circular area of redness around the bite (erythema migrans) which is seen in people.

4.Treatment for Lyme disease is very straightforward and consists of using either a tetracycline or penicillin-based antibiotic. The two most commonly used are oral doxycycline or amoxicillin. A recent study showed that both antibiotics worked equally well. The antibiotics must be given a minimum of 14 days, but 30 days is recommended. However, some preliminary studies show that some animals may not even clear the organism after 30 days and will relapse once the antibiotic is discontinued. In these cases, the animal may have to be on the antibiotic for much longer. It appears that many animals may never completely rid themselves of B. burgdorferi despite antibiotic treatment. These animals may never show any further signs of the disease.

When in doubt call your vet and use Google and Yorkietalk.com until then...I know I sure do )
Lyme Disease (Borreliosis) in Dogs
Thank you for all the info. I treated her with frontline plus the day before she got the tick. I had been using advantix because the frontline plus wasn't working for ticks last year but I wanted to try the frontline plus again. She has the lyme vaccine because the ticks that bite her when they do are pretty small and Maryland seems to be tick infested. It worried me that the spot was so red before I even pulled the tick off.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!