View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
amyangel
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New owner :) need some help potty training adult male

Hi everyone

i just adopted a 3 yr old male adult yorkie from my best friend. He's supposed to be litterbox trained on newspaper. We've had the little guy 2 weeks and ran into so much problems already.

A little about him: 3 yrs old, 5.5lbs and fixed.

My best friend says he would always go in the box with the newspaper.
the first few days i had him and already he was having issues every day sometimes or every few days where he wouldn't pee in the box when we're not home but instead to the right outside the box.

my bf and i work full time so he's fed in the morning and in the evening and he roams only the stairs going up to the bedrooms (carpeted) and living room (hardwood floors) when we're at work. i keep the water intake to a minimal when we're not home.

i've noticed he'll pee on the same newspaper with no problems even when its used. but i'm wondering if he's being finicky about peeing in the box after he's poo'd there.

i've gotten nature's miracle to clean up the messes and even built a cage around his litter box to kinda force him to want to go in, instead of peeing over the edge or going outside of it. (Petco trainer said that might help) and it only helped for a day. She also suggested boxing the litterbox in on all sides so he'd only go in there.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4947527_n.jpg

He'll go pee outside on the grass with no issues, but rarely poos outside with the exception of the first week we had him. Lately he doesn't like it.

we never have issues with poo in the house except the spots by the fireplace next to his litter box.

today i moved his food dispenser next to the litterbox area in hopes that he stop peeing there.

also noted is, he doesn't do it when we're home.

we're also crate training him but are unsure about his bladder control when confined to a crate from 9-7pm during the day.

just wondering if others have yorkies with this problem?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg photo-1.jpeg (70.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg photo.jpeg (61.1 KB, 0 views)
amyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!