View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy925 View Post
Ruger follows me all over the house. He sleeps with me and plays with me. So, why won't he come when I call him?

The other day I was at my girlfriend's house and he figured a way to get outside. We live at a resort, so people are walking all over the place. He kept running up to people and barking, then he would run up to someone else and bark. No matter how many times I called him he wouldn't come. I even tried running -- the other direction -- and he wouldn't follow. Eventually he calmed down a bit and followed me back to her place. He knows her place and she has a dog he's friendly with.

What am I doing wrong?
Recall training using the "COME" command is very hard for a dog because you are asking him to give up his fun. So, you have to make coming to you more fun than the fun he is having. That means meat as a reward. We trained using a food lure and walking backwards. You have to gradually increase the distance until the dog reliably comes to you. I would never allow mine off leash anyplace that was not secure and they have good recall skills (they just have better bolting skills and I'm just not that fast!). Good luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!