Thread: coconut oil
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #24
lil fu fu girl
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
I would be interested in reading the research papers that you point to, if they are peer reviewed veterinary sources with conclusions drawn based on science. I have an interest in MCFAs and recently was using EV coconut oil as a primary fat source while on a certain diet for myself. I definitely lost fat using that as my dietary fat along with EPAs/DHAs and flaxseeds. I also felt a lot better! So I do buy into the concept of not all fats being created equal and I like what I've read so far about MCFAs, I just have not seen much as related specifically to dogs that I think is reliable (correct me if there is something updated I'm missing). I am interested to see where the research is and where it is going with EV coconut oil - in general and specifically for IBD dogs and for other digestive issues. I just worry about people adding things to commercial dog food without fully understanding the whole nutritional picture which is not the same in dogs as it is in people. I also think the addition of omega 3s or coconut oil or other things is not adding a whole lot to a highly processed overall diet most pets eat. For my own dogs, I'm pretty strict and I'd never add additional fat to Barney's diet after his history. He is on 3% fat derived from chicken breast. Many would think 3% fat would make him look dull or be too low, but for him, it works very well and his skin is supple and his coat shiny. Daisy on the other hand has more fat, derived from EPAs/DHAs only (vegetarian based diet) and she is dull and coarse with dry skin so coconut oil added in a small quantity (aobut 1/4 tsp a couple of times a week) to her food has made some improvements but mostly has helped her IBD symptoms when she flairs. I am very interested in that connection as well.

Unfortunately this is very true. Many people do not fully understand the nutritional-anatomical balance in humans, let alone canines. I have found with my IBD pup that oatmeal, with its fiber content and its unique ability to feed intestinal flora, has been of great assistance in maintaining the health of her GI tract. I mostly feed her my home-created meals, as I also am not totally thrilled with processed foods and the lack of quality ingredients that they bring to the table.
Coconut oil is excellent for IBD symptoms as you stated, as the enzymes within the saliva and gastric juices of the stomach are enough to break it down, causing less strain and issues for the pancreas and GI tract. Plus CO also aids in the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals, making it a valuable nutrient for geriatric cases, for both pups as well as humans.
I am including several links that will direct you to my research sites. You might not be able to read the full pdf format that I have sited, as many of them are paid member sites, but most will allow you to read an abstract version without paying or signing up. Many of them are scientific research papers,( how do I say this), with the studies performed on pigs and dogs... unfortunately. However, their organs systems/and functionality are similar to ours. I hope that you will find some of them useful.
JPEN
JN
LIPIDS
PIGS AND DOGS/CAMBRIDGE

Sorry forgot to add in link to last one...here it is.

Last edited by lil fu fu girl; 02-18-2011 at 12:36 PM.
lil fu fu girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!