Thread: coyote?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymae View Post
This is not always true. I used to live in an area that was highly populated with coyotes & it was not uncommon to see them leaving the neighborhood with someones cat in their mouth in the middle of the day. A friend of mine & her husband were walking their min poodle in the afternoon & a coyote came out of a bush & grabbed their dog rite in front of them, the dog was on a leash so the coyote did not succeed in stealing it from them but the dog still had some severe injuries from the coyote trying to pull the dog from my friend. Her husband had to kick the coyote several times before it finally let go of their baby. It really depends on how hungry they are.

Here is a link to and article that I just read regarding a ongoing 10 year study of coyote habits. It is very interesting. In particular it says that coyotes do not eat cats but instead like to "tear them up and roll in it" As for dogs, if you are small and loud ......

Also, he is quoted:

Quote:
Thankfully normal coyotes don’t want anything to with us and avoid us. Its the sick or diseased ones or ones that lost their fear because humans were feeding them that become a threat. Coyotes attacks on people are rare and there are only two deaths recorded, one last year in Nova Scotia.
Here is the link to the entire article. There was an entire series that ran in the paper recently and if anyone would like to see more let me know and I will try to link them all.
Outdoors: Living with coyotes in Lake County - Lake County News-Sun
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!