Thread: coyote?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
lillymae
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
It is mating season so they are very active this time of year. Coyotes are more a a noctournal animal so they do hunt and travel in the evening. They really are all around us whether you live in suburbia, large city or out in the country. There have been plenty of siting even within the city of Chicago since they are highly adaptable. Personally, I don't worry too much during the daytime but in the evening is when I always supervise mine when they go outside. I have a motion detector light on the back of my house to illuminate my yard which is a good deterrent. If you do see one nearby make loud noises and they should retreat. They really are afraid of human contact and make sure to keep it that why by not feeding or leaving trash out to entice them for a meal. Also, I try to discourage my neighbors from feeding squirrels or birds since this is a tasty meal for a coyote and makes them more familiar with humans.
This is not always true. I used to live in an area that was highly populated with coyotes & it was not uncommon to see them leaving the neighborhood with someones cat in their mouth in the middle of the day. A friend of mine & her husband were walking their min poodle in the afternoon & a coyote came out of a bush & grabbed their dog rite in front of them, the dog was on a leash so the coyote did not succeed in stealing it from them but the dog still had some severe injuries from the coyote trying to pull the dog from my friend. Her husband had to kick the coyote several times before it finally let go of their baby. It really depends on how hungry they are.

Last edited by lillymae; 02-18-2011 at 11:30 AM.
lillymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!