View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
SWHouston
YT 1000 Club Member

M&M,

Wow, what a great reply !
Things you've mentioned are SO important, and SO easily forgotten when we get in a rush to get going ! I do several of those things as well, but, there's not just one way to do a given thing, depending on the individual and circumstances. If I may point out some alternatives here, and possibly create a discussion on those and other approaches to Safety.

Restraint in a Vehicle:
So many don't use any restraints at all when they take their Dogs in the car, but, personally, I think that Crating is a bit confining. Mine SO enjoy looking out the windows and Barking at first one thing and another (Guys with Weedeaters are a favorite )
The way I do it is, I use a Harness on each, and have dedicated Leash for each, run down through the space between the Seat and it's Back, which is tied off to the Seat Frame. This lets them look out a window, lay, sit and interact with us, but is adjusted where they can not be thrown forward or out a window, if there is a emergency stop...like that. When not in use, the Leash's lay flat and out of the way for passengers. There are special Harness' for Travel, but, I use regular ones, I wonder if anyone uses those Special ones, and why ?

Wire "NO CHEW" Training:
Chewing an Electrical wire could be VERY bad ! And it's one thing we should all address the first day a new dog/puppy arrives. I have made a Training Tool with wire.
a) I cut an old piece of Lamp Cord out of an old appliance.
b) An old piece of Coaxial Cable, and cut the metal ends off.
I lay both these down on the floor, obviously available to the pup, and when it goes near either, we do corrective behavior training then.
I move them around from room to room, and pick them up, where the training can occur at "MY" convenience, rather than happenstance.

Emergency Signage (Pets in the House):
What an important source of information ! But you said you put yours on the back door ! Is there some regulation about that in your community ?
Would seem that on the Front Door (or near), would be more appropriate.

Public Transportation:
HA, I do the very same thing, except I use a Shopping Cart to haul mine around in, or don't take them in to a place which doesn't have any. In my case, it's an issue of Socialization, I have a somewhat different view on that than most. Also, given that my Male thinks that Becca is his puppy, he is very defensive if anyone approaches us.

Don't touch Don't sniff:
You've made such a good point there, even the slightest "nose" touch to another Dog's Fecal Material, can transmit Parasites in an instant ! Issues of exposure to some hazards which may be found in Doggie Parks, and the list of Zoonotic diseases, are fair game for protracted discussion here.

Again M&M I'll say what a great post you offered, and hope that many others will make contributions here, toward the Safety of our Pets.

Have a good Day !
S.W.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!